Monday, March 5, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: From Ottoman Empire to Augustus Caesar

Ottoman Empire

So I started here because I had no idea where I wanted to start my trail off this week so I looked at the Twitter feed and saw that #ottoman was on one of the posts. I thought why not start off my trail with something I have absolutely zero knowledge about so here we are. Although I have heard of this empire I truly don't know anything about it so to start off with the first thing I learned was that it started in 1299 which is such a long time ago. I learned that the main sports that were played in this empire were Turkish wrestling, hunting, arm wrestling, and more. I also learned that carpet weaving is a main form of decorative art that is cherished in this empire. I also learned that slavery was a big deal but not as much agriculture slavery as America had.

Hunting

I have never been hunting other than for frogs in the creek behind my house so I thought why not try to learn about the subject since the ottoman's loved it so much. One thing that I learned was the fishing is a separate thing from hunting which I guess makes sense but I figured it would be grouped together since they both involve capturing an animal. One thing that I found quite interesting on this page was that people will use ferrets to help them hunt. I also learned on this page that a Safari was actually a hunt as I thought it just meant it was an adventure through a wild area in Africa.

Ferrets

So one time my neighbors paid me to watch their ferrets while they were gone for vacation and one of them was not very nice and bit me very hard.... ever since then we have not had the best relationship which is why I decided to make this the next part of my trail. I learned that the typical ferret lifespan is 7 to 10 years which means that the one that bit me is probably resting in peace. I learned that most ferrets sleep 14-18 hours a day which sounds amazing right now as I'm exhausted and could use that much sleep. The most interesting thing I learned about ferrets is that a group of them is called a business which I find quite comical. I also found it interesting that Caesar Augustus sent ferrets to a place in order to maintain a rabbit plague.

This is an image of a Ferret which I found on Wikimedia Commons.


Caesar Augustus

I have decided to end my trail with Augustus for I have always found great rulers to be interesting. I learned that he reigned from 27 BC to 14 AD which is 40 years. I also learned that he was born in September, like me, which is confusing because I would imagine him to be born in August. Later on it actually talks about the month of August and says that the month was called Sextilis before but Augustus changed that and made it 31 days to be as long as Julius Caesar's month (July). I also learned that he lived 75 years which is pretty long for this day and age he was living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment