Monday, March 26, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: From Coyotes to Cougars

Coyotes

Since I wrote a story about Coyote's this week, I thought I would start my trail here. I learned that the Coyote is native to North America and I found that neat being there are so many canines around the world. I also found that they are typically smaller than wolves. The diet of coyotes was pretty much what I expected expect I learned that they enjoy eating porcupines as well.

North American Porcupine

Seeing that coyotes ate porcupines and being that I pretty much know nothing about Porcupines I decided this to be the next stop on my trail. I learned that it is considered a rodent which I wouldn't have thought and that the only bigger rodent in North America is the beaver. I also learned that it is the only Native American mammal with antibiotics in its skin. I learned that an adult Porcupine has about 30,000 quills that cover its body.

North American Beaver

Being that I read about one mammal why not read about another one. I learned that the American Beaver is the same species as the Canadian Beaver which seems wrong as I would like our beaver t choose it's patriotism (that was a terrible joke). I found out that they can be submerged in water for over 15 minutes which I found pretty interesting. Known for making dams in their beaver ponds, this makes the habitat safe for not only beavers but also for waterfowls, fish, and other aquatic animals I learned. I also found it interesting that Beavers are considered monogamous.

Cougar

Being that I saw that beavers predators included coyotes and mountain lions I was lead here. I learned that a mountain lion and cougar are the same thing. Which as a kid my school had to be cancelled a couple days because there was a mountain lion nearby which is ironic now being that the mascot was the Cougars. These are the fourth largest cats which I still wouldn't mess with one. I learned that the hybrid of crossing a mountain lion (cougar) with a leopard is a Pumapard. I also learned that BYU is the mascot of a cougar which I didn't know before.

I found this on Pixabay.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Gavin, I love reading the Wikipedia trails because you never know where they're going to end up. A couple weeks ago I went from mythological weapons to nuclear fallout - it was quite the trip. I picked this post because of the picture of the cougar (we call them mountain lions where I'm from). When I was a kid we went to church with an older couple who had a mountain lion for a pet. His name was Murphy.

    ReplyDelete