Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Reading Notes: The Mahabharata by C. A. Kincaid, Part A

Hidimba and Baka

Out of the stories in the Part A section, this one stuck out to me mainly because I had an idea for my own version of the story, but also because I enjoyed the descriptions throughout it. 

In my idea, I would shorten the story to mainly the part where it involves Hidimba,Hidimbi, and Bhima. As I have done all semester, I would relate this story to dogs to fit in with my portfolio by making Bhima be a dog handing out in a country setting where two coyotes (Hidimba and Hidimbi) want to come and eat the animals. I was thinking that instead of the Hidimbi (or the coyote that represents her) transforming into another form like a woman, I would have her try to get a hair cut and look nice like a dog in order to approach Bhima and make them fall in love. I was thinking that I could have Hidimba and Bhima still fight like they do in the original story, but instead of Hidimba dying, I was thinking of a more peaceful ending like making some kind of deal. I think this would allow for a more modern style of this story as well as a better story fit for a younger audience which I have tried to reach out to. I probably wouldn’t continue to story and involve the Baka though.

This is an image of two coyotes I found on PxHere.



In terms of the details that I enjoyed in this story, I really enjoyed the part where Hidimbi first sees Bhima and describes how handsome she thinks he is. I felt that I could truly picture what he looked like and also through the detail was able to understand the attraction level she had. I also felt that I could imagine the action of Bhima killing Hidimba by throwing him against the ground. These details made the story great and remind me how a story can truly capture emotion by being descriptive and adding details.

Bibliography:

No comments:

Post a Comment