Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Reading Notes: The Indian Heroes: Mahabharata - The Princes of Elephant City, Part B

THE DEATH OF KING KRISHNA

Out of the Part B readings, I chose this one because I enjoyed the foreshadowing. I haven't really written a story with too much foreshadowing, but I think that this could be a good example of a story to base one off. I think that foreshadowing is a very strong tool in telling stories, because it can either go as unimportant in the first mentioning or it can be made a strong warning. In this case it was a strong warning, which I feel was made perfect by the King's realization. I felt that by the king explaining his reasoning that men only fight and kill each other when they are drunk and then coming towards his ban on wine showed that this was a developed idea. If I am going to write a foreshadowing that is intentionally supposed to be noticed at first, I think that it should be explained why this point is being made just as this story does. One thing that I didn’t like about this story was the change of events seemed to be very un smooth. I feel that while things did connect, there should be more description into why certain events take place. This story is a reminder that if I want to write a story that leads into sub plots, I must explain how they connect either at the beginning of the end.

In terms of writing my own story and keeping with the dog theme, I struggle to truly pick such a foreshadowing event. I was thinking that maybe a dog could be warned not to drink out of the toilet for dogs only get sick from this action. I’m not necessarily sold on this idea but I think that it could be great way to foreshadow as well as show symbolism between drinking wine in the story. I would like for there to be a confrontation involved like the men fighting and killing each other, but I might just have to settle with a simple sickness and “I told you so” message.

I found this on Flickr.

Bibliography: 

Title: The Indian Heroes:Mahabharata - The Princes of Elephant City
Author: C. A. Kincaid
Year: 1921 

No comments:

Post a Comment