Saturday, March 3, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: From Horses to Peter Pan

Horse

Since I made my reading notes about a horse sacrifice this week, I decided to start my trail here. One thing that I learned was that humans began to domesticate them around 4000 BC. I learned that he Przewalski's horse is the only kind of horse that is truly wild and has never been domesticated. I also learned that depending on the breed of horse, the average life span is 25-30 years which is much longer than I thought. I also learned that horses can suffer from Narcolepsy.

Narcolepsy

This is the condition that causes one to have excessive daytime sleepiness. I learned that there is no true cure to this condition but there are medicines and practices that help with the condition. I also learned that it can induce sleep paralysis. I'm low key starting to believe I have this condition as I'm reading this article. The effects of alcohol are similar to some of the symptoms of Narcolepsy which I found interesting.

Sleep Paralysis

Reading about how sleep paralysis was sometimes a part of Narcolepsy lead me here in my trail. This is when a person is aware but unable to move during sleep. I have had this happen to me multiple times and it is terrifying. One thing that is interesting with the condition is that people tend to see things or hear things that aren't there during it. I learned that there is really no medication for the symptom other than those that raise serotonin levels. This condition has been used to explain alien and ghost sitings for different people which I find very interesting. I also learned that many people credit Ebenezer Scrooge's ghost seeing to sleep paralysis in a Christmas Carol. It is also believe that the author of Peter Pan had sleep paralysis.

Peter Pan

As a kid I remember watching the animated movie about Peter Pan so I thought why not finish my trail here. One thing I learned was that the character was first mentioned in a different story called The Little White Bird. One thing I learned was that the original author never described his appearance and left it up to the reader which I find funny since everyone knows what Peter Pan looks like now. I also learned that the Disney movie to which I was referring was released in 1953 which seems crazy to me.

This is an image of Peter Pan found on Wikimedia Commons.


No comments:

Post a Comment